Parenting 101: Potty Training

After reading a few parenting articles about potty training, I have came to a decision that I would not be the parent that would force my children to pee or poop in the commode. Yes, we consume 1 or sometimes 1 1/2 big pack of XL Huggies diapers every week. It's really expensive, I kid you not. We also buy those generic diapers from the market because I found out that they also have the same quality as Huggies, and they are cheaper because they contain like 30+ diapers per pack, and they come in pull ups! I definitely recommend 'Baby Love'. But of course that would depend if your kid is 'hiyang' to that brand. As for mine, only Huggies, Drypers and Baby Love touches their butts :)

Okay, so as I was saying - I have decided that we should not force the twins to use the CR for those necessities. Even if I don't potty train them now, they would eventually potty train themselves on their own. It's a sick reasoning but hey - I have two kids to potty train and all the household chores and stuff! No judging please.

I really can't remember when I started potty training the twins but I do know that Arkin was the first one who showed signs of 'readiness' to do so. I didn't started doing anything until he didn't want to wear diapers anymore so we let him roam around the house without diapers. At first he didn't want to wear anything, I think he feels 'presko' that way. But eventually, he agreed to wearing 'briefs' and shorts. I don't know who taught him to pee squatting down, I suppose it was the ex-yaya. So I had to teach how to pee like a boy, that is standing up. Thing is, he doesn't want to hold his penis when peeing. Knowing Arkin, he is the 'maarte' kind of boy so it might take us a while before we will be able to practice that. As for poo-poo, he would ask for 'diaper' and he would poop in his diaper.

Raine was the difficult one. My mom and sister in law bought her panties with princess and minnie mouse designs to start with. I would tell her that I will not put diapers on her so she gets to wear Minnie or Princess panties - but she should tell mommy or daddy if she will 'wiwi' so we can bring her to the CR to pee. Of course she's happy about it and she would proudly show off  her cute panties. But guess what, I realized it's not fun anymore when we ran out of panties and pajamas. It was really tiring when all you do is to mop off the small pool of urine your daughter left on the floor. I would always end up putting her into her diapers. We all know mom's can't just wipe and mop urine all day! I have a house to clean, laundry to wash (by hand!), clothes to fold, dishes to clean, meals to cook and another action star in the making kid in the house to look after to. I JUST CAN'T DO IT.

Until today. I don't know what got into my daughter but she is peeing in the CR - into the toilet bowl. And she even pooped there! One thing that we haven't tried yet with Arkin. She would say "Mommy, wet!" and that would be my cue to bring her to the CR. One thing I noticed particularly with Arkin is that he could go all day without peeing which I know is not normal and is not possible because it IS not normal. So what I did today that I have never done before was bring them to the CR after having their milk or after drinking water and kind of force them to pee. And there! He did pee! Looks like he was just holding his pee because he was so into playing.

Have I mentioned that it's a must for me to say "Good job baby!" or "Very good anak!" plus "Yehey!" all the time? Well I'm that kind of mom because I believe that it sticks to them and it does. Every single time that Raine pees on the bowl, she would say "I did it!" See how sosyal my anak is? 

It was of course 'extra' difficult to me. Everytime Raine would say "Mommy, wet!" I would also bring Arkin to the CR to ask him to pee. Or if Arkin would say "Mommy, wiwi", Raine would always always say the same thing. I'm tired. I haven't napped for a bit yet today because of this - and I failed to make them nap by 1pm so now I can't let them sleep because we have a scheduled bedtime and that would just mess up their sleeping time. But this method is working. So I'm gonna have to stick with it, nap or no nap. But really, I turn into a monster when I don't get my afternoon nap. So husband would just have to deal with it, after all, I successfully potty trained the twins today.


Goodvibes!

xoxo

Comments

  1. Good job! :) Para palang si Arkin si Luis, aya wnya mag diaper pero ayaw nya ng walang shorts! :| Hopefully, bago mag 3 si Luis, ganyan na din siya. :)

    Housewife na housewife ang peg mo girl! Kaloka ang pagod! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Luis will get there wag kang mag alala! hahaha!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts